By Peter Borsay
A historical past of Leisure
- explores more than a few pursuits, from festive tradition and song to tourism and sport
- emphasises a conceptual and demanding strategy, instead of an easy narrative history
- covers a variety of topics together with financial system, nation, category, identities, position, house and time
- treats the constituent elements of the British Isles as a fluid and dynamic amalgam of neighborhood and nationwide cultures and polities.
Authoritative and interesting, this article demanding situations traditional perspectives at the historical past of rest and indicates new ways to the topic. Borsay attracts upon the insights supplied by means of numerous disciplines along that of historical past - anthropology, the humanities, geography and sociology - to provide an important advisor to this attention-grabbing quarter of study.
Read Online or Download A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500 PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
What's actual literacy? What are the advantages of being bodily literate? The time period ‘physical literacy’ describes the incentive, self belief, actual competence, figuring out and data that folks strengthen so that it will preserve actual job at a suitable point all through their existence.
Healing sport management and Programming hands scholars with the data they should be successful as healing game experts. They’ll study the sensible elements of the career and boost a management state of mind. The ebook makes a speciality of daily projects of the TRS and integrates moral issues into every one element of the task.
Why do activities subject loads to such a lot of humans? And why should still we care? faraway from being a distraction or a trivial hobby, activities let us know deep truths approximately ourselves. Big-time activities are a very powerful reflect for humanity--reflecting either our promising probabilities and our demonic distortions.
Game is loved by means of hundreds of thousands of individuals the world over, and either looking at and taking part in recreation constitutes a massive a part of sleek rest time. yet game can also be an enormous world wide undefined. In Globalizing activity, George Sage invitations readers to discover a deeper knowing of the worldwide dynamics of activity - not just competitions yet of the massive companies of cash, media insurance, athletic clothing and extra.
- Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports
- Managing the Paralympics
- WM 74: Als der Fußball modern wurde (Rotbuch) (German Edition)
- Sportgeschmack als Distinktionsmittel bei älteren Menschen (German Edition)
- Local sport in Europe. Proceedings of the 4th eass conference 31.05.-03.06.2007 in Münster (Edition Global-lokale Sportkultur)
Extra resources for A History of Leisure: The British Experience since 1500