By Esther M. K. Cheung,Gina Marchetti,Esther C. M. Yau
A spouse to Hong Kong Cinema presents the 1st entire scholarly exploration of this specified worldwide cinema. through embracing the interdisciplinary technique of up to date movie and cultural experiences, this assortment navigates theoretical debates whereas charting a brand new direction for destiny study in Hong Kong film.
- Examines Hong Kong cinema inside of an interdisciplinary context, drawing connections among media, gender, and Asian studies, Asian neighborhood stories, chinese and cultural reports, worldwide reports, and important theory
- Highlights the usually contentious debates that form present puzzling over movie as a medium and its attainable future
- Investigates how altering study on gender, the physique, and sexual orientation adjust the ways that we research sexual distinction in Hong Kong cinema
- Charts how advancements in theories of colonialism, postcolonialism, globalization, neoliberalism, Orientalism, and nationalism remodel our knowing of the economics and politics of the Hong Kong movie industry
- Explores how the recommendations of diaspora, nostalgia, exile, and trauma provide possibilities to reconsider accredited methods of realizing Hong Kong’s renowned cinematic genres and stars
Read Online or Download A Companion to Hong Kong Cinema (CNCZ - Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas) PDF
Similar film & video art books
Faux documentaries mimic documentary style expectancies, unraveling the documentary’s authority and dismantling understandings of id, heritage, and state. The interdisciplinary essays in F Is for Phony speak about a vast scope of works and discover concerns raised by way of “fake doctors” equivalent to the fiction/documentary divide, the ethics of reality-based manipulation, and even if documentariness derives from shape or reception.
For the reason that 1996, Alexander Payne (b. 1961) has made seven function movies and a brief phase of an omnibus motion picture. even though his physique of labor is quantitatively small, it really is qualitatively notable. His video clips have garnered quite a few accolades and awards, together with Academy Awards for top tailored Screenplay.
Grigorii Aleksandrov’s musical comedy motion pictures, created with composer Isaak Dunaevskii, have been the preferred Russian cinema of the 1930s–1940s. in line with studio records, press fabrics and interviews with surviving participants of Aleksandrov’s movie crews, this ebook offers the untold heritage of the movies, situating them within the Stalin period, and suggesting new interpretations of person movies.
Released at a time whilst the U.S. government's public international relations has been in hindrance, this booklet presents an exhaustive account of ways it was once performed. the U.S. info business enterprise was once created, in 1953, to 'tell America's tale to the realm' and, by way of enticing with the area via foreign info, broadcasting, tradition, and alternate courses, grew to become a vital portion of American international coverage through the chilly warfare.
- From iMovie to Final Cut Pro X: Making the Creative Leap
- Film Theory: Creating a Cinematic Grammar (Short Cuts)
- The Magic of Bollywood: At Home and Abroad
- Blood Money: A History of the First Teen Slasher Film Cycle
Extra info for A Companion to Hong Kong Cinema (CNCZ - Wiley Blackwell Companions to National Cinemas)